Drug - Disease Warning Utilization

PLEASE NOTE:   Posts made to this forum should not be considered as the expressed opinions of, nor should be considered endorsed by, the Medication Safety Officer’s Society (MSOS) or the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP). 

Make sure your email is up-to-date
In order to continue to receive updates from MSOS, as well as forum posts and other valuable information as a member of MSOS, please be sure to update your email address with us, whenever it changes. If you need assistance doing so, please send an email to jgold@ismp.org

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kevin M. Patton
Kevin M. Patton's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 12/08/2020 - 16:51
Drug - Disease Warning Utilization

We are a pediatric Epic(with First Data Bank) facility and currently working on reducing alarm fatigue in our systems. We have a suggestion before our committee currently to disable all Drug-Disease Warnings in the system. We have data showing that these warnings are bypassed 98.8% of the time and are looking into what happens the other 1.2% (same drug ordered later, or drug changed). One of the questions our committee got hung up on was whether or not other facilities utilize these warnings. We currently have ours restricted to 'severe warnings' only and show to both providers and pharmacists. What are the rest of you all doing?