S: A patient within our health system received two, influzenza vaccine Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent vaccine doses because of confusing packaging.
• A single dose is one single prefilled syringe, 0.7 mL, given intramuscularly
• The manufacturer of the high dose influenza vaccine, Sanofi Pasteur, packages 10 prefilled-syringes in a box. Each box contains 5 sleeves. Each sleeve contains 2 syringes
• The term high dose + two syringes per sleeve could lead a person to think that 2 syringes are what makes it “high dose”
• Warn front-line staff administering influenza vaccines of the potentially confusing packaging for the high-dose influenza vaccine for ages 65 years and older
• The dose for the high-dose influenza vaccine for age 65 years and older is one, 0.7 mL, prefilled syringe