We are an Epic hospital and are considering adding a patient specific bar code on insulin pens to help prevent wrong patient errors. For hospitals with experience with this:
1. Has the patient specific bar code been successful in decreasing wrong patient errors with insulin pens?
2. Has there been any issues/errors associated with using a patient specific bar code?
3. Do you use Dispense Prep or any other verification technology to ensure the right label is placed on the right pen in Pharmacy?
4. Any other useful information to know prior to proceeding with patient specific bar code on insulin pens?
5. Any additional recommendations to reduce wrong patient insulin errors?