Concentrations of stock heparin >5,000 units / mL

PLEASE NOTE:   Posts made to this forum should not be considered as the expressed opinions of, nor should be considered endorsed by, the Medication Safety Officer’s Society (MSOS) or the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP). 

Make sure your email is up-to-date
In order to continue to receive updates from MSOS, as well as forum posts and other valuable information as a member of MSOS, please be sure to update your email address with us, whenever it changes. If you need assistance doing so, please send an email to jgold@ismp.org

1 post / 0 new
E. Robert Feroli Jr
E. Robert Feroli Jr's picture
Concentrations of stock heparin >5,000 units / mL

Limiting the number of available drug concentrations is a standard strategy to decrease the potential for error. I am interested in those institutions that do not stock heparin in either the 10,000 and 20,000 unit/mL concentrations. If you have eliminated these high concentrations, what were the barriers you had to overcome? Examples: higher concentrations are need for dialysis machines or needed for SQ prophylactic doses of heparin in bariatric patients.

If you have successfully overcome barriers to removing these highly concentrated forms of heparin, I would appreciate if you would respond in this forum or send me a separate email at bob@jhmi.edu. I would like to talk with you about how you dealt with this challenge.

Bob Feroli

Tags: