I didn't see anything recently on this topic - But wondered what other organizations were doing with diluted insulin for their littlest patients.
Would be interested in learning about other hospitals' best practices and processes:
- are you preparing a 10 unit/mL dilution?
- does pharmacy prepare each dose required?
- vs. are vials dispensed to the floor for nursing to draw up?
- what type of syringes are you using?
- any safeguards or restrictions built into your EHR? (administration instructions, hard max, insulin calculator?)
- do you have any policies / procedures that you'd be willing to share?
Just doing some deep dives and improvements on our processes and was curious about other's approaches!
Thanks! All the best!