We have providers asking for pharmacist order entry during multidisciplinary rounds, noting it is safer than them doing delayed order entry after rounds. The rounding providers wish to focus on the patient not on their computer for order entry during rounds.
Does anyone permit pharmacist entry of verbal orders on rounds? If yes,
1) Is this defined in policy?
2) Do you have a papered process?
a. Are there scenarios or medications that are not allowed as pharmacist verbal
b. Does the pharmacist repeat back and verify what they are entering?
3) Do you have a unique order mode to capture this situation?
a. Ie, under direct supervision of the provider then sent to the provider for cosign
b. Ie, prepped and pended for provider to sign/release
4) Do you require dual pharmacist verification in this scenario?
5) Is this audited to ensure it is only happening during rounds?
6) What did you use to justify this as a safe alternative to provider order entry?